Thank heavens for the weekend!!! You know that feeling when you wake up on a Tuesday morning thinking it’s actually Saturday? And then you have to go on doing your normal Tuesday things, and the rest of the week just draaaaags on with no regard for your feelings? Yeah, that’s the kind of week that calls for a burger like this. And that’s the kind of week I’ve had, so I say bring on the bacon!
As you can see, I made these burgers in the oven, because who wants to be grilling in the middle of January when you live in northern Utah?? Not me! But I tried a new oven burger method, and I have to say it was a huge success. I put the burgers on an oven safe cooling rack and placed it onto a foil-lined pan. The foil caught the grease for easy clean up, and the burgers turned out super juicy and tender! All right, let’s get to the good stuff. Here’s the situation: A flavorful burger stuffed with creamy blue cheese and topped with melty cheddar. Extra crispy strips of hickory smoked bacon. Juicy tomato slices and tender baby greens. All stacked on top of a toasted brioche bun and paired with bbq mayo. Add extra blue cheese crumbles if you’re feeling wild and crazy (it is the weekend, after all).I love the combination of blue cheese and bacon, and I wanted to highlight the combo by keeping the other toppings pretty simple and fresh. The flavors definitely stand out without being too strong or overpowering. Brad agreed, and he’s never been a fan of blue cheese! It’s always a good sign when a recipe passes the Brad test 🙂Good quality beef is definitely important to this burger; it makes a huge difference! I get my meat from Costco and find that it’s fresher than what I get from other grocery stores (plus, it’s a great deal!). Whatever you decide to cook this weekend, I hope it’s delicious, and that you enjoy it without feeling anxious or guilty. If you’re in the mood for burgers and fries (as I always am), check out my recipe for Sweet Potato Fries!
If you like this recipe, click follow on my home page and receive recipe goodness in your inbox every week! You can also keep up with Sprinkles & Such on Facebook and Instagram. As always, tag me in your recipe creations on social media so I can see all the goodness you’re making. 🙂 Now get cookin’ good lookin!
Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers
A juicy, flavorful burger stuffed with blue cheese
- 1 lb good quality 80% lean ground beef (no leaner; the fat will drain off as it melts, but it will also help bind the burger)
- 5 oz blue cheese
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 brioche buns
- 12 slices bacon, cooked to desired crispness
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Tomato slices
- Baby greens
- BBQ sauce
- Non-stick spray
- Add desired seasonings to ground beef (I use salt and pepper, and a little BBQ sauce), and mix together. Form six patties as evenly sized as possible, wrapping each portion of meat around a teaspoon of compressed blue cheese crumbles. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place lightly greased cooling rack on top. Make sure the pan is deep enough to catch grease without spilling it.
- Place burgers on rack and top each with 1/2 Tbsp butter. Cook at 400 degrees for 10-15 mins (burgers should be mostly cooked through at this point). Remove from oven and place cheddar cheese slices on top of each patty. Continue cooking for 3-5 mins until burgers are cooked and cheese is melted.
- While burgers cook, slice tomatoes, toast buns, and mix together two parts mayo to one part BBQ sauce. Dress burgers as desired, and serve while patties are warm. Enjoy!