You may have started to realize that I am a soup fanatic! Making (and eating) soups is one of my favorite parts of the colder months. This soup is hearty and warm with a bit of a kick, making it perfect for chilly winter nights. Make it with or without half and half to suit your taste, and serve with warm rolls!
Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Warm and flavorful with a little spice; perfect for winter nights
- 16 oz Italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 medium/large tomatoes, diced
- 1 can white beans
- 4 c chicken broth
- 8 oz baby spinach
- 1 lb cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c half and half
- Brown the sausage in a large pot, draining off excess grease. Add onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning, and sauté over medium heat until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes and continue to cook for just a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the broth and can of drained beans, and bring to a boil over medium/low heat.
- Once soup is boiling, add spinach and cheese tortellini and cook until pasta is al dente (usually 3-5 min) being sure not to over cook.
- Remove soup from heat and add in the half and half, stirring constantly until all combined (this is optional; the soup would also be great without the cream).
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired, and enjoy!