Oh. My. Goodness. This is what breakfast is meant to be like.
Just look at those saucy little caramelized gems! How can you not go crazy for these?!
Amazingly, the steel cut oats they’re piled on top of are equally amazing. Toasting them before cooking adds so much depth of flavor to an already delicious grain. If you haven’t tried steel cut oats before, you definitely should. They are slightly chewy, but also super creamy; especially when you follow these cooking directions!
If the weather is cooling down in your neighborhood (like it is here; thank heavens!!), you have got to give this breakfast a try! It’s motivation to get your booty out of bed in the morning, am I right?!
So get cookin good lookin 🙂
Toasted Steel Cut Oats with Caramelized Bananas
A unique, hearty breakfast, perfect for chilly mornings.
- Steel Cut Oats:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tsp butter
- A dash of salt (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract Caramelized Bananas:
- 3-4 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 stick butter
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a simmer over medium heat. While that’s warming up, melt 2 tsp butter in a large skillet. Add the oats to the skillet to toast over medium heat, stirring until golden brown.
- Once the water/milk is simmering, add the toasted oats, stirring occasionally to keep them from sticking or burning. Continue to cook the oats at a simmer for about 20 minutes, reducing heat as needed to reduce the risk of burning.
- Once most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are at a desired consistency, remove from heat. Add in salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla, then let the oats rest for 5 minutes.
- While the oats rest, add honey, cinnamon, and butter to a large skillet and stir over medium heat until melted. Add banana slices in a layer covering the mixture and allow them to caramelize for about 2 min on each side (flip them all over to get evenly coated and caramelized).
- Top oats with bananas and add nuts and/or milk of choice if desired. Enjoy!