Let’s take a moment to appreciate the magnificence that is the burrito bowl. These deconstructed burrito creations have taken the nation by storm thanks to beautiful establishments like Chipotle and Cafe Rio (I am always down for either of those, just FYI) and I am not mad about it.
Lately I’ve been loving salsa verde, and I decided all that tomatillo-jalapeño goodness would be pretty bomb in a burrito bowl–thus this recipe was born. They are so hearty, healthy, and great for leftovers that I just knew I had to share them!This recipe combines all of my favorite burrito bowl toppings into one colorful, flavorful bowl of goodness. It’s got shredded chicken that’s been smothered in tangy salsa verde and cooked in a slow cooker (making it both super easy and suuuuper tender), warm and saucy black beans, cilantro lime rice, roasted corn and bell pepper (the best part of Chipotle, in my opinion), pico de gallo, Tillamook pepper jack cheese (it’s just the best cheese. I’ll fight you about it.) and a giant scoop of guac that you don’t have to shell out all your cash for!! Let’s talk about these roasted veggies. I shucked three fresh ears of corn and threw them in a pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, chili powder, and a hint of cayenne. Then I decided to just make it a party and throw a diced bell pepper in there too, because bell pepper is always a good idea. Let me just say that the fresh corn makes all the difference in these bowls! I think it’s one of the best foods of summer time, right up there with berries and melon. The dressing that tops it all off couldn’t be any simpler, and it really takes the dish to a whole new level! I just threw some more salsa verde into the blender with a little sour cream and blended it up, adding salt and pepper to taste. It. Was. So. Good.
So don’t let the many components of this dinner keep you from making it! Each step really is simple; you can’t argue with that when there’s a slow cooker involved. I love throwing everything in there, going to run errands, and coming home to the smell of roasting chicken. It’s the best! You probably don’t need any more convincing to make these for yourself, but let me just add that they make the best leftovers. Tomorrow we are going to have these veggies, chicken, and beans rolled into a tortilla with some guac, and it’s going to be awesome.
So get cookin good lookin!
Salsa Verde Chicken Burrito Bowls
All your favorite toppings in a bowl with the easiest salsa verde chicken, cilantro lime rice and black beans.
- For the Chicken:
- 2-3 lbs chicken (3-4 large breasts or 6-8 tenderloins)
- 1 jar Salsa Verde
- 1 ranch seasoning packet For the Dressing:
- 1 cup Salsa Verde
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste For the Bowls:
- 1 can of black beans + 1/4 cup water
- Cilantro lime rice (3 cups cooked rice [about 1 cup dry rice + 2 cups water], 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, juice of 1 lime)
- Diced tomatoes
- 3 fresh ears of corn, roasted or sautéed
- 1 bell pepper, diced and roasted or sautéed
- Guacamole (2 avocados mashed with 2 Tbsp sour cream, salt and pepper)
- Pico de Gallo (8 small diced tomatoes, 1 small diced red onion, 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, 1-2 diced jalapeños [remove seeds for less heat], juice of 1/2 a lime, 1 tsp red wine vinegar, and sea salt to taste)
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Cover chicken in salsa and ranch seasoning in a Crock Pot and cook on high for 5 hours, then shred.
- Blend dressing ingredients together until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste and chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare rice and combine it with lime juice and chopped cilantro just prior to serving. Drain (but don’t rinse) 1 can of black beans and simmer with 1/4 cup of water until heated through. Sauté corn and bell pepper, or roast in the oven just before serving.
- Serve while chicken, rice, beans, corn, and peppers are still warm, topping with veggies, guacamole, dressing, cheese, and lime wedges (if desired).